Pinewood Derby Race Timer
The race timer is an Arduino based timer with a robust and flexible design which allows it to be easily constructed and modified to meet your specific needs. Features of the race timer include:
- Easily expandable from 1 to 6 lanes
- Supports (optional) digital displays for each lane to show finish time and/or place order
- Supports (optional) solenoid start gate circuit
- Supports lane masking, start gate status check, resend race results, force end of race
- Works standalone or can be interfaced to race management software running on an attached computer
Interfacing the race timer to software running on an attached computer (Windows, Mac or Linux) allows races to be managed and allows you to record and archive car run times as you test and tune your Pinewood Derby cars. The race timer is currently compatible with the following software:
- Free PD Test/Tune/Track (PDT3) software utility (Windows only)
- The popular Grand Prix Race Manager software (Windows, Mac)
- Pinewood Master software (Mac only)
- DerbyNet software (Windows Mac or Linux)
Visit the following pages for more information on building, configuring and using the race timer:
Detailed instructions and photos to aid in the construction of the race timer including circuits, wiring and the hardware enclosure.
Configuration and installation of the timer sketch for the race timer including interfacing the timer to race management software running on an attached computer.
Problems or have a question? Check here for a list of commonly asked questions and other troubleshooting tips.
Created: 11 Jun 2011Last updated: 19 Feb 2024